To stimulate academic, cultural and sporting interest and enthusiasm in learners in a conductive and disciplined manner; where the teaching and learning environment is explorative and informative.
The pursuit of academic, cultural and sporting excellence within a non-discriminatory, non sexist, and non-racial environment.
- Vision of Strinivasa Sastri – Agent General of Government of India
- Indian Community contributed 18 000 pounds
- Indian businessman from Greytown, Mr Lakhi- contributed funds for the library.
- City Council – 2 acres of land
- Opened in 1929 by the Earl of Athlone, Governor General of South Africa
- Dr A D Lazarus : distinguished educationalist, appointed first Indian Principal, 1951
DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI OF SASTRI COLLEGE
- Pravin Gordhan : Minister of Finance
- Dr Coopan : first aluminous to obtain PhD, UNESCO
- Professor Somers: cardiologist , Perth Australia
- Professor Jerry Coovadia : paediatrician & distinguished HIV/Aids researcher
- Judge Thumba Pillay : Judge of the high Court, KZN
- Judge Chimaan Patel : former Judge President, KZN
- Professor Jairam Reddy : former Vice –Chancellor,
- University of Durban Westville.
- Swami Sahajanandha Maharaj: Spiritual Head of
- The Divine Life Society
- Ismail Meer and JN Singh : lawyers and struggle stalwarts
- Sam Ramsay: Sports Administrator International Olympic Committee
CHANGE IN STATUS
Despite strenuous objections from the community, Sastri College was closed as a secondary school in 1982 under the Apartheid policies of the Nationalist Government and became part of ML Sultan Technical College, offering courses in cookery, motor mechanics, carpentry, hair styling etc.
RE-EMERGENCE OF SASTRI COLLEGE
Amid momentous political changes in the 1990’s, the College re-opened in 1993 as a secondary school, admitting learners of all races and becoming a co-educational institution for the first time.
SASTRI COLLEGE GOVERNING BOARD
Dedicated members of the Board ensure good governance in these areas:
- Admission policy
- Application of Code of Conduct
- Maintenance of school
- Finance, school fees
- General well being of learners in terms of Schools Act
SASTRI COLLEGE ALUMNI SOCIETY
Support the governing board, management, staff and students in providing excellent secondary education for the community in Durban and beyond:
- Bursary fund endowment of R1.5 million to attract, support deserving and academically outstanding students
- Undertake other activities in support of the school:
- fund raising and support of the HPLC
- colloquium on the future of secondary education
- workshop on the introduction of history as mandatory discipline in secondary schools
- an evening with distinguished playwright Tagore
- a Shakespeare Retrospective
SASTRI ACADEMIC CONVENTION CENTRE